Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fan, or Follower: That is the Question

We as a team have been reading a book that recently came out. You may have heard of it. It's called Not a Fan, by Kyle Idleman.
Sometimes there are books that are simply a fad, the thing to buy to be a 'cool' Christian. But my friend's mother recommended this book to me, telling me she had just finished using it as the base for their small group Bible study. This intrigued me, since I'm used to Bible study that includes thick doctrinal books with study guides and deadlines. As far as I knew, this was a streamlined softcover book barely the thickness of a stick of gum. So why so much enthusiasm?

I'm also a bit of a critic when it comes to content, so when I finally got my copy (a gift from my sister) and cracked the first few pages, I was prepared for anything...Almost. The one thing I wasn't expecting was to be shaken by what I read. Deeply shaken. And it's not only because the author is a dynamic writer, which he is. Not because it keeps our interest, which it does. But because what he presents in this book challenges the core of American Christendom.

Not A Fan chronicles the life of two types of Christians: Fans, and Followers of Jesus Christ. It quickly becomes clear what the author's driving point is: Which one are you? Sounds like an easy choice. A follower, I automatically replied, and kept reading...but the twist of the story is what makes the book so startlingly convicting. Most Christians fall into one of the categories... and it may not be the one you expect.


 I've almost finished with the last chapter... I'll let you know how it turns out.

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment